Dolls

Dolls

Friday, November 1, 2013

The Year of Haute Couture - November

Ah, November. Can you almost taste the turkey already? I know I can. And with turkey comes GRAVY. Lots and lots of GRAVY. But I digress.....

We had a strange October. It was unusually warm (which I'm not complaining about) but about the beginning of November you really see the colors change and the leaves fall. The air is crisp and perfect for a cool afternoon stroll.

A perfect month for Barbie in the colors of the season. It is my pleasure to introduce....

November - 50th Anniversary Barbie Doll (2009)


I am speechless. Robert Best has done it again. Every dress and outfit he designs is exquisite. And this one is one of the best. The glittering gold! The ruched bodice! The strapless design! How gorgeous is this? I can't put it into words. I know that some of the gold Holiday Barbie's are beautiful but this! This!

The real doll!

barbie.mattel.com
Okay, I like the dress but I don't love it. I think the larger sequins on the tulle make it look a little cheap. I think that more "glitter" suits Barbie. Now I DO love the upper bodice. It's beautiful! And I don't know what it is about the face but I think it is a gorgeous head mold. Or maybe it's a normal head mold and the eyes are designed different? She is a beautiful doll and I love the dress design but I wouldn't have gone with the large sequins on the tulle.

Here is the excerpt from the website:

"Now is your chance to join a once-in-a-lifetime celebration! Barbie® doll's 50th anniversary sparkles even more brightly with a dazzling commemorative doll. The epitome of glamour, this radiant doll glitters beautifully.
50th Anniversary Barbie® doll — for you to love and cherish, now and forever!"

She was offered in March 2009 and is no longer available. She was not offered in a model muse or doll for collectors only. It seems that Mattel wants the anniversary dolls to be available for anybody: young or old, collector or child. I love that idea. Maybe that's why they went with a dress that is a little more "durable." Does it look that way to you?

So friends, tell me what you think about 50th Anniversary Barbie! Leave me a comment!

Until next time! :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I like her face, but it just doesn't say Barbie to me. I'll always connect this face with Lara from the Generation Girls. She is very cute in blonde though.

They used a lot of those sequins. I would like the dress much more with less of them randomly scattered on the tulle skirt or little crystals instead of the sequins. Sometimes less is just more. It is a gorgeous dress design and gold was the pefect colour choice for Barbies big anniversary.

Forestminuet said...

Yeah, it's not a true Barbie face. I don't know why, it just catches me somehow.

I agree that the gold is perfect and yes, less sequins. I'm such a glitter girl though. Love it!