Dolls

Dolls

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Vintage and Semi-Vintage goodies!

Hello Friends!

Hope your holiday season is going great! I've had itchy-fingers to wrap presents. So every time I received one in the mail or purchased something, I had to wrap it. I'm sad I don't have more to wrap (but that would require spending more $$ right?) Anyway, it's been busy but fun for sure!

In the last post I mentioned that along with the most insanely adorable YooDara dolls, my dad also picked up some other Barbie goodies at garage sales this summer. And I am pleased to announce that these items are vintage and semi-vintage! We love those kinds!!

First, we have this fabulous 80's Barbie trunk. My dad was not sure if I would like it but hey, we got to find a place for those accessories! You might pick up some furniture or playset from a garage sale and find it has a completely mangled box. Where do the accessories (and dolls) go? Why, in it's own carrying trunk!


Unfortunately the trunk is a little dirty but nothing some mild soap and warm water can't clean up. The cool thing is that there are NO rips or tears in the vinyl! This trunk was well taken care of.

The inside cardboard pieces are a little bent but they would still hold your dolls very well. 


Now I have to find the perfect dolls to put in it :)

Now, take a gander at this vintage beauty. I almost died when I saw it. 


*squee* LOVE! And not to mention it has two of my favourite vintage dolls on it! Solo in the Spotlight and Enchanted Evening! (not sure which doll is the ballerina, maybe the one from 1961?) The trunk is not faded, these are the actual colors.

Look at that sturdy handle! No way this handle is coming loose from this trunk! And also a sturdy metal clasp to keep Barbie and clothes safely inside.


My dad almost didn't get it because the accessory storage "lid" was not intact but honestly I don't care. I have many other trunks and boxes for the accessories that I'm okay with this one being the way it is. The inside is in better condition than the newer one above. 


Here is a feature I wish they would put in other trunks. A little snap gate to keep your Barbie safely in it's place!


Aren't these great?

Now for the dolls!

First we have the 1997 Arctic Barbie from the Dolls of the World Collection. 


I think she is so cute with her fur everywhere! From what I can tell she has one of the traditional Kira face molds. 


On the back is a little write up about life in the Arctic. 


From my trip this summer to Alaska, I learned that there are two kinds of arctic tribes and I seem to recall that one is the Inuit. I don't recall reading about Igoos though as the tribes I read about all made brick or mud houses. Seems accurate though!

The other Dolls of the World from this line are pictured below. Ever wonder if their clothing is accurate? I know Arctic Barbie is from the pictures I saw in Alaska!


Lastly we have a doll I have been wanting for quite some time. Well, actually I've been wanting the Barbie but I'll take Teresa too! This is 1988 California Dream Teresa.


As I was looking for the exact year of this line, I read on wikipedia that this was the first Teresa doll ever sold? Can anyone confirm? 

I. LOVE. HER.

She does not have the Steffie head mold as found in some of the later Teresa's but maybe this is what they called the "Spanish" head mold? (I'm so bad with headmold identification). 


She wears this so so so adorable yellow and white polka-dot ruffly beach outfit and has palm tree earrings. So 80's!


She comes with a visor and frisbee for some fun on the sand!

Her other California Dream friends are featured on the back. They have a MIDGE! And she has roller skates! Oh, this is too fun!


So, to keep in or to debox? THAT is the question! (I really want to debox to push in her earring and fix the ruffles on her outfit. Yeah, I'm a little OCD).

So friends, do you have Arctic Barbie and/or California Dream Teresa? Maybe one of the trunks shown above? Let me know in the comments!

Next time, a very special doll I bought with some birthday money. :)

Until then!

7 comments:

RagingMoon1987 said...

I'm a little biased because I still like to play with my dolls. However, since you've got nice pictures of them in the box, I say debox and have some fun with the little minxes! Very nice stuff, by the way.

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

Hi RagingMoon! I love to play as well. I've been wanting to set up a beach scene so maybe I will :) Thanks for stopping by!

Andrea said...

Such beautiful goodies, congrats!

The pink trunk is cute, but the vintage one is to die for. I wouldn't mind the missing drawer either. You could still make one from thicker cardstock, if you want to store accessories in it.

Arctic Barbie is a beauty and she lives here as well, so does her sister Ghanian Barbie.

I wish I had Teresa, she is so cute with her beautiful outfit. I'm so glad you got one with spotless legs. Her face mold is the Hispanic mold that was also used for some AA dolls, like Dee-Dee from the Rockstars line. If you plan on keeping her, I'd say debox and have fun with her.

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

Thanks for the head ID Andrea! I might take her out once I get my Barbie pool that I'm so desperately wanting......

Maybe on eBay I can score the California Dream Pool! Wouldn't that be the perfect addition for Teresa!

Anonymous said...

Those trunks are beautiful, congrats! As are your new dolls ... I do have an Eskimo Barbie, strangely enough I dug her out for some new pictures recently. Mine is deboxed, and I've also been thinking about undressing her (that's not easy on these kind of dolls though, as I'm sure you know). I love this doll's face paint, so natural and pretty.

I don't have Teresa although I do have the Midge in roller skates from the same line :) Teresa is the other doll I really wanted from these Cali Girls, I love her outfit! I vote debox :)

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

I do love the face on Eskimo Barbie. I actually don't know about undressing the dolls of the world. Is her hood sewn on to her head?

Aww, I so love the Midge. You'll have to get Teresa someday. I'm dying to get the other dolls of this line!

Seriously thinking about the debox :)

Mel said...

I am having a similar difficulty. I recently acquired 3 boxed Barbies off ebay.
They are holiday Barbies and I want so much to debox them! The Star Trek set will have to stay box, as removing them would destroy the box!
I know this is an old post but I just found your blog yesterday! I am hoping for some Barbie fun this summer at garage sales too!