Dolls

Dolls

Sunday, January 22, 2017

A Makeover You're Going To Love

Happy almost February!

This month has flown by. As you get older, do the days get quicker? I think the answer to that is a resounding YES.

But I have been busy so maybe that's why this month went by quickly? Not only have I been busy with work and a toddler, I've been occupied with a project. AND I FINISHED IT. Me! I finished a project! *happy dance*

Remember Miss Courtly Jester. Cool dress. All purple shoes. All purple armbands. All pink headpiece. All pink curled fringe around her waist. All magenta collar. So bland.


So I busted out the acrylic paints and went to town. 


*squee* She's PERFECT!!

The hardest part of this painting project was painting the outline of the hearts on her hat. I don't have a small enough detail paint brush for that. And my white paint seems to be super thick. So I just had to do some touch up (and scraping off) after that. 


I am SUPER pleased at how her collar came out. I will tell you that I do not have any purple or pink paints in my collection. Any pinks or purples I did on this doll I mixed and I am stoked on how they turned out. The magenta color is the original color of the collar. The light and 2 colors of dark purple I mixed. I also painted the part closest to her neck black.


I believe if you look at animated pictures of Courtly, her gauntlets are die-cut and you can see through them. Instead of trying to mix a peach color to match her skin, I just painted them white. Remember how I mentioned that I don't have a super fine detail paintbrush? This was another part of the doll that was super hard to paint. So I used a toothpick. I can't believe it worked! And also had to paint the bracelets gold.


Left gauntlet. 


This one was easy to paint. Top is light purple, bottom could be kept the same color. Because of the type of waxy plastic that it was, if I got any paint on the underside, it was easy to scratch off. 


Now for the shoes! Love these. It took me a while to find a pink that I was happy with but I made it work. The gold "chain" at the top of the boot was factory painted.


Left boot


lovelovelove Her boots were already cool and now they are even cooler.


Now I have to figure out what to do with this! 


This came attached around the tall boot. I guess they thought they had to break up the color on the boots. This bow is not on her animated self. This is the picture I used for inspiration.


What do you think of the new and improved Courtly Jester? Does this inspire you to paint yours? I still need to put the curl over her eye. But that requires me to ransack the bathroom for my styling paste so it will stay hard. No clue where it is. I'll find it someday. 


I'll have another post up this week. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

What a fantastic job! There are several ways to thin paint. I have a mixture my husband made up for me. He uses it when he paints gaming miniatures. You also need super small brushes to paint miniatures. Someone my husband knows online uses a whisker from one of his cats!

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

A cat whisker? That's absolutely hysterical! Hey, if it works, why not? One of my boyfriends from long ago painted gaming miniatures. We spent many hours doing it and he had the super super fine brushes. It was a lot of fun picking out color schemes. I painted the wizards in a beautiful royal purple and silver theme.

I'm not that creative when it comes to dolls. I would never be able to think of a good color theme for Courtly other than the one she has now!

Andrea said...

Your makeover worked out just great. She looks much better now. Great painting job.

When it comes to painting very fine lines, I use a very small tipped sewing pin.

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

A sewing pin! What a great idea. I'll have to try that one next time. The issue with the toothpick is as the tip gets saturated it gets soft so I had to use a few. A sewing pin would be awesome. Since I don't have a cat for a cat whisker (as Barb above mentioned) haha.