Dolls

Dolls

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Star Wars x Barbie #3

Hello Dolly Friends!

I'm taking a break from the great clothing organization to post about another newcomer to the group. Besides, the organization is a BIG job and is going to take me a while. Or years...... :)

Along with Princess Leia and the R2D2 Star Wars Barbie dolls, we also had one more iconic figure. 

DARTH VADER

 
When I first saw the Star Wars dolls I fell in love with this one. I had to have it. But at $100, not really something that was in the budget. I'm so happy I was able to have her. 

And she does not disappoint one bit!


Those black sunglasses are way cool but I wanted to see her eyes! She wears a black corset top and has a black cape. 
 

She holds a purse with a design on it that looks like Darth Vaders chest piece. The skirt has a pleather panel down the middle.
 

The cape is lined and holds its shape really well. Some of it is packaging but I've seen reviews of an unboxing and it does hold some of that shape out of the box.
 

Her sleeves have a ribbing on them. So cool
 

The skirt has the same ribbing. 
 

Okay. Shoes. Again, these do not disappoint. Boots with a red stripe up the side. LOVE.
 

Darth Vader concept art on the inside box left
 

Doll concept art on the right
 

Iconic Darth Vader quote is "The circle is now complete." It also has the Galactic Empire sign above it. 
 

If you care to know where the quote is from, it's from the movie Episide IV: A New Hope and goes like this:

Darth Vader:
I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master.

Obi-Wan:
Only a master of evil, Darth.


Here is a great picture of the doll from the Mattel website.
 
barbie.mattel.com

And my wish was granted. They had a picture of her without glasses so I could see her eyes. The thick black eyeliner is so awesome paired with that bold red lip. I think I like her better without her glasses. Too bad I can't reach in the box and take them off.
 
barbie.mattel.com
Here is an interview with Robert Best about the creation of this doll. 



Inspired by original concept art from Star Wars: A New Hope, the Star Wars™ X Barbie® Collection puts a high-fashion twist on iconic characters! In this exclusive interview, Robert Best talks about his love for Star Wars, design challenges, and shares his experience in bringing this new collection to life.

What was particularly exciting or unique about this collaboration for you?
The unique aspects of this come from the collaboration of two unique icons that truly stand alone. Barbie and Star Wars are cultural phenomena like no others and so it’s exciting to bring these two worlds together. I also think it might be an unexpected collaboration and I love that.

Darth Vader’s movie costume is actually a suit of life-supporting armor and cybernetics. How did that fact change, enhance, and/or limit your approach to the doll’s couture design?
While these details are interesting and relevant to the characters in the narrative related to the films, when you're creating a look “inspired by,” the purpose is to capture the essence of the character and include notable details. Then, it becomes more about what the costume and its narrative purpose represents emotionally, and finding a way to convey that through fashion.

What do you think fans of Star Wars and Barbie will be most excited about?
As a fan of both myself – my hope is that fans will share the excitement and joy that I had when creating these dolls from this unique and amazing collaboration. For me personally – this was definitely a dream collaboration and I hope that comes through to the fans.



I've read that some people were disappointed that Princess Leia didn't look like Carrie Fischer. However, like Robert Best said, these dolls are "inspired by" not identical look-alikes. So we have to take that into consideration. (Although I wouldn't be disappointed if they added a light saber, but that's just me.) :)

Darth Vader x Barbie is a Gold Label doll and has only 20,000 made worldwide.

Friends, what do you think of the third installment in the Barbie x Star Wars series? Love it or hate it? Let me know in the comments!

Up next, another super special doll that you will all love, i'm sure of it. Because we love all dolls right?! Until then!

No comments: