Dolls

Dolls

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Treasure #1, A little help needed!

Happy New Year!

Is everyone glad for 2014? I always feel fresh and new when the new year hits. Not that 2013 was awful but the change is always welcomed with open arms.

I've finished the last of the undecorating and am starting to get my house back in order. Now I actually have time to blog and see if you can help me with a doll that is truly stumping me more than usual!

I opened my last gift from my parents and get her. Breathtaking!


My first thought is that she is absolutely gorgeous. She comes with a metal doll stand, white shoes, and check out that hair!


However I didn't think she is the actual doll that goes with the dress. See the little Z's in her eyes? To me that means she is Hawaiian Fun Barbie as I have her. However my dad told me he found her at a garage sale, the lady said that she had her in a display case in her home. Maybe she did the hair herself? If so that's a really good job.

The back is just a beautiful as the front.


And now this beautiful dress. Maybe it's just a generic playline dress but I'm having a hard time believing that with how much detail is in it. I'm thinking it might be a wedding dress as it has a train. The train is also detachable.


The roses and ruffles are so...Barbie!


And I was surprised when it was a genuine Barbie dress.


Although someone could have taken a Barbie dress and put their own embellishments on it. But to me they look like some are on there from the manufacturer.


This detail is so amazing.


I kind of wish she had the bent arms. Her straight arms are squishing the flowers on the side of the dress at the hips.

In a nutshell, I love her. She is in my top 5.

But what is the dress? I searched for everything I could think of but Google didn't bring up any pictures. I was thinking that someone on flickr would have her but no avail. So friends, who is she and maybe someone else has her?

I'll have another post in the next few days. Until then!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, what a gorgeous present. She has been styled with a lot of love and care.

I think, you are right and she is indeed Hawaiian Fun Barbie, since she is the only one I know of who has that z in her eyes. So she is most likely an OOAK doll.

It's definitely no generic playline dress. From what I can see of the fabric on the bodice and the glittery tulle on the skirt, I'd guess that the person who did this OOAK used the first of the Fashion Avenue bridal gowns as the base. Here is a link to a large pic of the FA dress where you can check the fabrics:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MIB-VINTAGE-BARBIE-FASHION-AVENUE-WEDDING-GOWN-FOR-SILKSTONE-BARBIE-OR-OTHER-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/bEEAAOxy4t1SiQGE/$_57.JPG

I know I have seen a tutorial for that hairstyle somewhere, but I can't recall where, sorry.

Kaitlyn said...

I wish that Mattel would put the date on the tags of the apparel as well as they do the dolls. It makes it all so much easier when searching.

Anyhow, I tried to search a little bit for that dress. Very hard to find and I could only come up with this: http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5823206/il_570xN.255975092.jpg
It is a handmade dress of course but seems similar.

I am happy I came upon your blog. I love this sort of stuff and searching is something I enjoy when it comes to Barbie. I have learned so much from my searches and am pleased to help you. :)

Forestminuet said...

Andrea,

I think you are right about the FA dress being the base. This lady must have been a seamstress. How she got the ruffles around the neckline so perfectly I'll never know. But the glittery flower-printed lace running down the skirt is the dead giveaway. I think the sleeves were cut off and trimmed with lace so that is why there are short sleeves and not long. But wow, I can't believe that someone did all this. It's so beautiful!

Hi Kaitlyn! and welcome! I agree. The years on the tags would be a tremendous help! Especially with the FA clothes. Sometimes those are so hard to identify because they spanned so many years. I love the picture you posted! A beautiful colonial style dress. I love the hair too! I wish I could sew that good. I'm learning, slowly but surely.

Searching about Barbie is something I really enjoy as well. I was out of collecting for so many years, there is a lot I missed. But my awesome readers help me out so much with ID's! Thanks again for stopping by and hope to see you again soon! :)