Dolls

Dolls

Friday, January 18, 2019

Barbie - A Holiday Tradition

Welcome again!

Today we have a very special doll indeed. We are going to feature this year's Holiday Barbie!

This is a special year as it was the 30th Anniversary of the Holiday Barbie. Here she is!


And her box is friendly for boxed but deboxed photos! Note if you want to display or take her out of the box for photos. I've noticed that it is infinitely easier to take them out from the bottom than from the top. She is very easy to slide out!

And she is beautiful. 


I know it's another red dress (because we seem to be getting red every year) but since this is the 30th anniversary and they modeled this dress after the very first Happy Holiday's Barbie from 1988, they went with red. I don't know if the one sleeve on the shoulder one sleeve off is intentional but it works!

And wow! What a necklace! Her curls are 'Holiday Barbie' hard and probably will need some fixing up if you take her out of the box. I do like the little headband!


Her dress has ruffles, ruffles and more ruffles! And a bow around the waist. 
 

More ruffles!


And I had to check the shoes and they are awesome! Mine seems to be coming off of her foot. I tried to put it back on but it wouldn't budge. 


The back of the box reads: "The holiday season is rich with traditions. For 30 years the HOLIDAY BARBIE doll has created a long lasting legacy of imagination and celebration. May she inspire you to love joyfully, celebrate special moments and create memories you'll treasure for a lifetime."

And as in years past, each skin tone has a different arm position. The photos of the dolls below don't show the one sleeve on shoulder one sleeve off shoulder as in my doll so like I said, I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not.


So, since I do have the original 1988 Happy Holidays Barbie, let's do a side by side comparison!


As is typical with dolls from the 80's, it's all about big and poofy and this doll has it. There is still the bow around the waist and the ruffles are a good take for the modern twist on the original. 

But 2018 and the back of the 1988 box gives a better look. Love the holly in the hair on the 1988!


Check the sleeves


It looks like one sleeve on one sleeve off! Maybe it was intentional this year. 

But Mattel, please PLEASE no more red dresses next year! If you could bring back the Mackie Barbies, that would be great. ;)

Friends, did you get this year's holiday Barbie? Do you like her or not like her? Let me know in the comments! 

Next post coming soon!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

She is a lovely doll. I got her for Christmas, as usual my hubby took me to the toystore and let me handpick my presents. He is such a sweetie. The day we went they had a special "buy one Barbie product, get second 50% off" and they had two 2017 Holiday dolls still on the shelf so I got her as well.

I am definetly with you on the red dresses, gold or silver would be a nice for a change.

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

Hi Andrea! :) Nice on hubby letting you pick the gifts. That way you can make sure they don't have any eye wonk. Gold would be a great dress! We haven't had an entirely gold dress since 1994! 2011 had a little but gold would be nice for a change!