Dolls

Dolls

Friday, January 19, 2018

Vintage!

So, remember last time I talked about the Barbie books I received for Christmas. That's not all that was in the box. :)

Are you ready? I SURE AM! *squee*

DOLLS! VINTAGE!

Aww, poor Barbie! I trust the collector that said this was a 1961 first issue bubblecut. Beautiful brunette!


Unfortunately the head joint is completely broken off. I really do not want to slit the vinyl head. Would super glue work and then just not move her?

Such a pretty brunette. She is a first issue because she has red lips, the second issue bubblecut dolls have coral lips.


She is in very good condition, her nail polish is still intact.


And her toe nail polish too!


Now for this GORGEOUS beauty!


GORGEOUS! She was listed as a #4 ponytail but I think is actually a #6 or #7 ponytail because of her coral lips. However she has a thinner face and her nails are red. And black hair rather than more brown. So I don't know. Rebody? 

She is perfect except for this:


Major green ear. I was astonished as the green was wet and oozing. I had no choice but to take out the earrings and throw them away. I have a few pairs of other vintage earrings I can put in if I want to. I know the hoops are rare as they came on only one year of the ponytail dolls but they had to go. I was not going to risk them green ear-ing another vintage doll!

Beautiful red nail polish that is un-chipped.


And toenail polish is unchipped too!


And her ponytail needs a little fixing up but not bad at all! I love the black hair. 


It took me a while to recognize where her coral swimsuit comes from. It's this accessory pack! This is accessory pack #923 and it has hoop earrings included. Most likely where these ones came from. Also three pairs of open toe heels, sunglasses, flower bag, two necklaces and a pair of short gloves.

www.pinterest.com (via eBay)
Ready for this one?



Another vintage Ken! SOOOO excited!

Want to know what's even better? He is a first edition with FLOCKED HAIR!



It's going to take some work as the flocking is very badly damaged. Might just be worth it to scrape it off and start fresh.



Now for this next cutie. I can't believe it.



My very first vintage Skipper! This is a 1965-1967 bendable leg Skipper. 

I just love her. Blue eyes and peach/nude lips. She came with this ribbon in her hair but not the metal headband.



Hair is very nice and shiny!



And lastly.



Two vintage Skippers! This one has a twist and turn waist as well as bendable knees. When I saw her on the Fashion Doll Guide, I knew she was the Sun Set Malibu Skipper from 1971-1977.




www.fashion-doll-guide.com

The next Malibu Skipper produced has a darker skin tone and tan lines and her face is not as full as this one. 

She has good and shiny hair too.



I have a Malibu Barbie and her hair feels the same as this one, kind of course. I wonder if it gets that way after age or if it was just the synthetic hair used. 

Now I have to get some clothes for these two pretty girls. I do have some vintage Skipper patterns but most of the pieces are missing so I would be winging it. And we know that I'm not good at winging it when it comes to sewing! But we'll see. They definitely need something cute and I seriously lack Skipper outfits.

I'm currently in the process of cleaning Barbie's green ear. I've read that CLR does a great job so she is in the spa.

A couple Christmas's ago I received some awesome vintage clothing so time to get Barbie dressed! You can read about them here!

Anyone know of any good kits to help with Ken's reflocking? I need to get this guy reflocked so he looks great! Do you have any favorite vintage outfits for Skipper? Let me know in the comments! 

Also, have any favorite vintage outfits that hold a special place in your heart that I could dress these Barbie's in? Let me know too. Might be time to head to eBay!

Until next time!

8 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Great finds! My sister had an original Malibu Skipper back in the day. I don't remember her hair being especially soft. We used to play Little Women with our dolls, and Malibu Skipper always got the part of Amy.

RagingMoon1987 said...

I've got two Malibu Barbies, one from the early Malibu era and one from later on, and they both have stiff, coarse hair like your Skipper has. So I think it was just the fiber that Mattel used at the time. You've got a gorgeous bunch; I hope something can be done for that pretty bubblecut and that ponytail.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I'm leaving a test comment here; I've been having some issues commenting on other people's blogs, so I'm trying out different browsers.

The PrairieHomemaker said...

What an awesome group!
I have that Ken as well. I decided to leave him as is.I am not sure if messing with his hair could damage his value as a collectible.
I loved Malibu Barbie. I wish I still had mine!
hugs
m

Anonymous said...

These are all great finds, but my favorite is the bendable leg Skipper! I had the Malibu dolls as a child and loved them. Francie, Barbie and Skipper. I remember combing Francie's hair a lot (my favorite of the gang), and it was soft but broke off halfway here and there after many combing sessions :-). The bubblecut Barbie has a great tight hair-do and beautiful lip colour!

My Barbie Blog - Teresa said...

Hi Barb! I see your comments good and fine! :) Malibu Skipper is the perfect doll to pay Amy. I love that movie.

Hi RagingMoon! I'm still trying to find solutions for the bubblecut. I can always jury rig something in the meantime! Ponytail is still in the spa for now. I don't think it will go away completely unfortunately. :( Good to know about the Malibu dolls. I'm glad they went away from that material!

Hi Mel! I have heard about some collectors who won't buy "restored" dolls but I don't have any intention of getting rid of them anytime soon. I kind of want to try and see how it works! I found a kit but i'm a cheapskate and don't want to pay $15 in case it doesn't work. I also read that some people have used flocking or "turf" material from the craft store. It's what they use to velour coat model cars. Might see if they have any at Hobby Lobby!

Hi Millicent! I can see how that hair would break off. Part of the fun for me was brushing and combing the hair! A lot! So cool you had a Francie. I still want one. I was really excited to see the tight bubblecut. It was just a perfectly beautiful doll!

The PrairieHomemaker said...

Teresa,
I have no plans to sell him either. My son will manage that when I am gone!
I am one of those folks who tries to buy 2 of an item, one to open, one to keep sealed for display...
I am odd that way!
hugs

m

Treesa said...

I remember reading an article years ago in a doll collecting magazine that suggested using flocking designed for landscaping model railroads to reflock a vintage Ken. I'm not sure where someone would buy model railroad supplies these days. But shoppers can find just about anything on the internet, and if you shop around maybe you can find something affordable.
Signed, Treesa